Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Potluck Recipe - Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here is Sam's recipe for the Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies (read all the way through as she also offers some tips below the recipe).

You will need:
Baking pan
Parchment paper
Large bowl
Food Processor
Medium Pot
Mixing Spoon

Ingredients:
2 cups pureed sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
1/2 cup oat flour (can be sub w/ another kind of flour)
1/2 cup nut butter
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Spices:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon La Boite Yemen #10 (a blend of ginger, cinnamon and clove - sub with 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon clove and additional 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon)
1 teaspoon cacao powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Boil a medium pot of water. Peel and dice sweet potatoes, add to water. Cook until they can be easily forked. Once they are done, add to the food processor and pulse until smooth. Let cool.

Mix dry ingredienets - oat flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cut in the nut butter with a fork or a psstry cutter if you have one (or use your hands)

Add eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix in sweet potato and then chocolate chips.

Scoop onto parchment paper or foil lined baking sheet. Then press down with a fork.

Bake for 15-17 minutes


Sam's notes and tips:
I found that I needd to bake them the full amount of time (17 minutes). The recipe calls for "nut butter", the idea being some type of nut butter that doesn't have a lot of oil in it. Whole Foods has a nut butter station. I used some homemade almond butter that I had, but I'm sure you could use Peanut Butter (will change flavor) or almond butter from the store. Perhaps eliminate a Tablespooon of "oiled" nut butter from 1/2 cup required, if you're trying to maintain the same health factors. You could, of course, use butter instead.

Other subs:
- I didn't have maple syrup and because I was using semi-sweet chocolate chips, I only used a Tablespoon of honey
- Spicing was cinnamon and ginger. When I have allspice, I'll definitely add thta in!
- Update: I subbed butterscotch and white chocolate chips in this past weekend...it was so decadent, rich and delicious!

Other tips:
- I had baked sweet potatoes on hand, so I didn't have to boil them
- I got 2 dozen, heaping Tablespoon-sized cookies from this recipe. Dough is very mushy and looks like it won't hold, but it will.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment